A highly successful FL teacher, scholar, researcher and supervisor, Dr.
Lipton has taught foreign languages on K-12 and university levels in New
York, Maryland, Illinois and Texas, and has presented over 100 workshops
for teachers and administrators nationally and internationally. Her
experience in teaching FLES* (pronounced "flestar") both as a classroom
teacher and as an itinerant specialist and as a FLES* supervisor gives
her a broad perspective on the techniques and activities which work well
in all models of FLES* programs. She is frequently in demand to give all
kinds of K-12 workshops, seminars, and keynote addresses.
- Practical Handbook to Elementary Foreign Language Programs.
2010: 5th edition.
[Order a copy]
- Lipton, G. 2009 "FLES* Advocacy and Promotion" in AATF Online Advocacy Kit (Go to 03 Section
Cultivating Allies, click on "For the French Teacher" and click on 1st Article by Lipton).
- Spanish Bilingual Dictionary. 2009: New York: Barron's Publishing Co. (also in French)
- Lipton, G. 2012 "Is Elementary School Too Early to Teach FLs?" in Erickson, E.M.
and B. Hilton, eds.
The 5-Minute Linguist. Equinox, CT or ACTFL pp. 157-161.
- "Foreign Language Instruction: What Principals Should Know."
Principal magazine. Jan/Feb. 2003, 41-42
- (Ed.) A Celebration of FLES*. 1998: SRA/McGraw-Hill.
- German Bilingual Dictionary. 1998: New York: Barron's Publishing Co. (also in Italian)
- An Administrator's Guide to FLES* Programs. 2001. MD: National FLES* Institute, P.O. Box 2632, Kensington, MD 20891.
- (1996) "The Many Benefits of All Types of FLES* Programs." Carlisle, PA: The Northeast Conference Newsletter.
- (1998) "A Retrospective on FLES* Programs": 1898-1998. Hispania (Mar.): 75-87.
- (2000) "Letter to the Editor." Education Week 3/01/00, p.49
- (2001) "The FLES* advantage: FLES* Programs in the Third
Millennium." French Review Feb. 2001.
- Over 150 articles in professional publications, national and international
- Awarded top rank of Commandeur dans L'Ordre des Palmes Académiques (2009)
- President, National AATF (1998-2000)
- Awarded NNELL's Special Recognition Award (2005)
- Director, National FLES* Institute (2002-Present)
- Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) Coordinator of FL Outreach
(1985-2002), Director of K-12 teaching development Institutes (1986-2002)
- Past Associate Editor of the FLES* section of Hispania
- Former founder and Chair of the National FLES* Committee (AATSP)
- Served as Editor of the Northeast Conference Newsletter
- Chair, AATF FLES* Commission (1985-2005)
- Awarded Actfl's Steiner Award for Outstanding FL National Leadership
- Member of the Review Board of the National FL Standards Project
- Directed K-12 FL programs in New York City schools and the Anne
Arundel Public Schools, Maryland
- Served as a consultant in more than 200 schools, school districts,
private schools, foreign language and non F/L organizations (1985-Present)
© 2012, Dr. Gladys Lipton